News

Lead Poisoning

Lead is a highly toxic metal that is found in and around our homes.

Britain is one of the few countries in the world to do little if anything about public awareness to lead poisoning. Children who are exposed to moderate or high levels of lead can suffer damage to their brains and nervous systems, liver, and kidneys

Did you know that:

 

• Britain is one of the few countries in the world to do little if anything about public awareness to lead poisoning

 

• The British science community have been urging the British Government to make public the dangers of lead-based paint in particular lead dust

 

• In France, Germany, Italy, Australia, America and many more countries it is compulsory to test children for lead poisoning and to test pre-1978 buildingsfor lead-based paint hazards

 

• 15-20 million children world wide suffer from lead poisoning Source: World Health Organisation

 

• 1 Million American children suffer from lead poisoning Lead-based paint is one of the most serious health threats facing children today Source: US Government

 

• One in 10 British children suffer from lead poisoning Source: British health experts

 

• Lead poisoning is no longer a problem Source: British Government!

 

 • Lead poisoning knows no boundaries!   

 

Why is lead dangerous?

 

Lead is a highly toxic metal that has been used for many years in products found in and around our homes. Even small amounts of lead slow a child's development and cause learning and behavior problems. A child may have lead poisoning and not feel sick.

 

How does lead affect children?

 

Children under the age of 6 are most at risk from lead poisoning. Lead is especially harmful to developing brain and nervous system of children under 6 years old. Even at low levels of exposure, lead can affect a child’s learning, behavior and growth, leading to:

▪            Decreased intelligence

▪            Behavioral problems

▪            Decreased growth

▪            Impaired hearing

▪            Decreased ability to maintain steady posture

 

What happens to children exposed to high levels of lead?

 

Children who are exposed to moderate or high levels of lead can suffer damage to their brains and nervous systems, liver, and kidneys. High levels of lead can lead to:

▪            Deafness

▪            Blindness

▪            Coma

▪            Convulsions

▪            Death (in rare cases)

 

Lead-exposed children are more likely to have:

 

▪            Reading difficulties

▪            Poor vocabulary

▪            Attention problems

▪            Poor fine-motor coordination

▪            Greater school absenteeism

▪            Lower class ranking

About us | Advertise with us | Contact us