Not all plants are safe for children ( or pets)
They can look beautiful but some plants can cause discomfort and illness and some can be highly dangerous. You may want to consider which ones you plant in you garden.
Teach your child about the beauty of plants but be aware of their dangers.
Many plants in the garden and countryside can look and smell appealing but many can also me harmful - some will cause a rash, others scratches and some may be poisonous.
List of poisonous plants that should be avoided:
Death Cap Mushroom
Fly Agaric Mushroom
Lords and Ladies
Prickly bushes such as Yuccas
These plants will cause illness if eaten:
Holly – berries and leaves
Lily of the Valley
When buying plants be aware of its name and check out its potential dangers. Avoid berry-bearing plants until your child is old enough to understand not to be attracted by their colour and smells - not all are safe for consumption. Keep plants out of reach from young children - always supervise a young child in the garden.
Buy yourself a plant handpocket guide and teach yourself as well as your children names of plants in the garden – it is educational and fun!