Out and About

Spending time planning your bonfire and fireworks ….

….. can prevent a fun evening from turning into a disaster … remember to brush up on your First Aid too.

How to keep sparklers in safe in small hands:

Sparklers can get up to six times as hot as a pan of cooking oil.  Follow these tips to make sparklers stay in safe hands.

-       Light sparklers one at a time and always wear gloves

-       Never give sparklers to a child under the age of five - they will not understand how to use them safely

-       Supervise children using sparklers and ensure they are wearing gloves

-       Never hold a baby or child if you have a sparkler in your hand

-       Plunge finished sparklers hot end down into a bucket of water as soon as they have burnt out as they can stay hot for a long time

-       Don't take sparklers to public displays -  it will be too crowded to use them safely

-       Avoid dressing children in loose or flowing clothes that could potentially catch light

-       Store sparklers in a closed box in a cool, dry place

 

 

It is very common to get a minor burn when handling sparklers, so for this reason it is always best to be prepared! If possible, you should seek to cool the area as quickly as possible, by running it under cool water for about 10 minutes before applying Dr Sarah Brewer, GP and published medical author

In the event of a burn:

First step is to remove any further risk of burning. Then assess the burn to make sure you seek the appropriate treatment. Burns can be classified as follows:

 

Minor burns

Common types of injuries include someone who has burnt themselves on a sparkler or a bonfire ember. The burn is smaller than a postage stamp, very red and painful, but the skin remains unbroken.

 

Major burns

A major burn injury is when skin is damaged by a large amount of heat or prolonged amount of heat. It could include someone whose clothing has caught on fire and the skin is very damaged ranging from red to black in colour. The skin may also be cracked or blistered and weeping. There can be nerve damage so the victim may not be able to feel the burnt area.

Advice for Minor burns

  • Cool the burn with cold water for at least 10 minutes or use a burns specific treatment such as Acriflex Antiseptic Cream
  • Avoid touching the burn directly or bursting any blisters to limit infection and scarring
  • If required cover the burn with a clean, non-fluffy material such as cling film to limit infection
  • If the burn is larger than a postage stamp, it requires medical attention - seek advice/treatment from a pharmacist or doctor

Advice for Major burns

·         If possible, try to cool the burn immediately under running water for at least 10 minutes

·         Dial 999 for an ambulance

  • Make the casualty as comfortable as possible, lie them down
  • Whilst wearing disposable gloves, if available, remove jewellery, watch or clothing from the affected area - unless it is sticking to the skin
  • Cover the burn with clean, non-fluffy material to protect from infection. Cloth, a clean plastic bag or cling film are ideal

On ALL burns DO NOT

  • Use lotions, ointments and creams other than those specifically made for burns treatments
  • Put ice or very cold objects on the burn as damaged skin is very sensitive and it can make the pain worse
  • Use adhesive or fluffy dressings
  • Break or touch blisters

About us | Advertise with us | Contact us